October 16, 2008

Hectic Red

When I miss teaching, which is often, I often miss teaching Shelley's "Ode to the West Wind." Why not go check it out? Go ahead, I'll wait.

I was thinking about this poem Tuesday whilst (see, I'm being poetic) driving from Indiana (PA) through Altoona and up through State College. It's a pretty part of the state. Heading north and east you drive along one long valley, the valley on your left for miles and miles. The leaves were beautiful. It looked like a sunset had drained out of the sky and filled up the valley.

Of course, in Shelley's poem the leaves have already fallen, but Tuesday, it was all just glorious.

This poem is a well-oiled, precision machine. Even "thy skiey speed" is forgiveable. Nice job, PBS.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

"It looked like a sunset had drained out of the sky and filled up the valley": Nice, Jim! That's exactly the way it looks around here lately, too. That's the perfect way of describing it.