April 24, 2008

Hidden Fortress

In a burst of what I can only call masochistic egomania (masochism is always egomania, but I don't think it's true the other way around), I've tried repeatedly to find an quick and easy way to upload an mp3--20th anniversary edition of an Ivory Tower song. I was trying to use some free hosting place that still gives me some control over the damned thing. I remain at a loss, so you're just going to have to do without for now.

I've been wanting to do this ever since I read about those damned fake Elmers. I suspect they're probably dupes of my nemesis, whom I shall not name. Damned fake Elmers.

So last night I watched Hidden Fortress, which was inexplicably next up in my Netflix queueueueueue. I have too many movies listed there, all because I don't want to forget any of the movies I might like to see. This means that I have several years worth of movies in line, especially since I don't watch films as often as I used to.

Please quit distracting me and I'll talk briefly about this film. I don't know why it was in my queue ... could I really have put it there because I read that its clownish protagonists were Lucas's inspiration for C-3PO and R2D2? I don't think so. Is it because I'm a Kurosawa fanatic? Nope. Or that I like black and white movies with subtitles? This is true, but it's not the reason. I'll never know. Maybe it was a mis-click, or maybe I added it back when I thought I could still trust the Netflix recommenderbot.

Anyhow, I'm glad I did. It was a great movie. Honor, humor, suspense, and the weirdest-voiced princess you'll meet all day. Super-accessible and beautifully filmed, and very fast-paced considering its length.

Hey, what do you want, thoughtful and detailed movie reviews? If so, get Mike to watch it next time it's on TCM. And while you're at it, see if you can get him to post the movies he might review in advance so we can watch them too.

It's like going to an English class to listen to the lecture without having read the assignment. Oh, you don't know what that's like? Be honest now ...

No comments: