July 06, 2008

Dr. Frankenstein meets the Tivo

So yesterday the Tivo died. It just started rebooting every couple of minutes. When I tried to reformat it, it froze altogether. This will not stand, I said to myself.

Needless to say, it's way out of warranty ... a Series 2 without even the capability of recording two shows at once. Stone Age Tivo of the Tivozoic era. But dammit, three years isn't that much to ask from a piece of equipment, it seems to me.

So I did a little snooping around and wound up here. I bought their software for $20 and a new HD for I guess $79 or so. I could have had it for less if I hadn't been in such a hurry. After monkeying around for a little while using their software to format the new HD in my computer, I transplanted it and fired it up.

Lo and behold, the Tivo went from 80 gigs to 320 ... and more importantly, it went from boat anchor to best friend ... all in the space of a couple of hours. It LIIIVES!

1 comment:

NYMary said...

Our cable company provides the box: that way, if it goes weird, we just walk it in and get a new one.