July 23, 2008

Bright Ideas about Dark Knight

Many of you have written to me demanding to know my thoughts about Dark Knight, which according to IMDB is currently the #1 movie of all time. Huh. Well, it was pretty damned good, I thought. So here are my notes, sans serious spoilers.

Heath Ledger's Joker is very compelling: engaging as well as terrifying. The hype was largely warranted, and since he's dead, I won't gripe about it.

People with facial disfigurements are scary and evil.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is kinda quirky looking, but seriously hot as Rachel Dawes. There was actually chemistry.

Eric Roberts and Anthony Michael Hall together again ... has it really been twelve years since The Grave?

It's kind of stupid to hire a great actor and then hide his face and distort his voice. Why get Christian Bale for the role? Why not Christian Slater?

Two words: William Effing Fichtner.

The spirit of Fu Manchu--and/or the western spirit that feels comfortable with such representations of Asian evil--lives on.

The Watchmen trailer makes me nervous. How are they going to keep from messing it up?

No comments: