May 27, 2008

Three Days of the Condor

In honor of the memory of Sydney Pollack, who died yesterday, I'm going to do something I don't do all that often, which is recommend a film that was made in the 1970s: Three Days of the Condor. If that film doesn't make you nostalgic for the Cold War, nothing will.

Hell, if the current political situation doesn't make you nostalgic for the Cold War, I don't know what to tell you.

Three Days of the Condor is on Turner Classic Movies on Weds, 5/28, 1:30 a.m. eastern. Check your local listings. For you youngsters, that's tonight.

Pollack also directed Redford in the first film I saw in a theater that was not explicitly a children's film: Jeremiah Johnson. I remember that my parents took me to it in the evening after I spent the day in the snowy woods on a Cub Scout winter outing.

After that day and that film, I felt like quite the eight year old mountain man, I'm sure.

3 comments:

--S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yarmando said...

You like this movie the same reason all English majors do: the idea that the CIA would pay us to read spy novels and write wildly speculative book reports on them.

JB said...

Yes, it's definitely not because I've fantasized about coming in to work and finding that all of my coworkers have been brutally neutralized.