March 27, 2008

I don't care for 38 Special

Every now and then I find myself listening to "classic rock" radio, because stations of that junkre are more likely than most to play something I actually don't mind hearing, e.g. Van Morrison. Unfortunately, stations of that ilk are also more likely to play 38 Special (pronounced Spatial and spelled Spayshul by those in the know).

Please note that I do NOT hate 38 Special, because hate suggests passion, and I cannot understand anyone feeling passionate about that music (nothing against the guys making the music; I'm sure they're talented, and they seem quite earnest as well, and they've certainly enjoyed a measure of commercial success). But their music seems as processed and prepackaged as anything contemporary radio today. I mean, put "Hold On Loosely" next to "Caught Up on You"--aren't they the same song? And "Back Where You Belong"!

I thought about linking to Youtube with those song titles, but really, you've heard the songs before, right? And I won't link to anything I won't sit through. I know these guys are from the south and are related to Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I don't think it's fair to southern rock to lump them in there. I'm not a Skynyrd fan by any stretch of the imagination, but at least they earned their keep.

For some decent southern rock, you could check out the all but forgotten Wet Willie (not to be confused with the finger in the ear prank of the same name), or howzabout some Little Feat?



If you know anything about me at all, you know where I'm at with those shots of Bonnie Raitt and Emmylou Harris from back in the proverbial day. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

No comments: