October 08, 2008

Times Square


I've never seen the film, but for a while, the soundtrack--which I picked up at random from a bargain bin sometime in the middle 1980's--was one of my absolute favorites. I don't think it was ever released on CD, alas, and if my cassette is still around and still functional, I'm going to guess that it's not in great shape. It was one of those "two LPs on one cassette!" deals that really meant that the tape was thin and stretchy and breakable. Wow, thanks for the convenience!

Anyhow, as unlikely as it is that you'll ever have the opportunity to grab a copy of this album, let me tell you, you it's pretty darned listenable ... even the cuts of the movie people singing their movie songs. IMDb provides the track listing here.

Highlights: Gary Numan's "Down in the Park"; The Pretenders' "Talk of the Town"; "Babylon's Burning" by The Ruts; Patti Smith's "Pissing in the River." Stuff you might never hear again if you don't go out of your way to.

No comments: